Why am I receiving a violation or noncompliance notice? How does it impact me?

Late payments and violations including smoking in nonsmoking areas, illegal pets, noise disturbances, and unauthorized roommates is documented on your account in your rental history with CHNW. As many property management companies request rental references, receiving violations and/or noncompliance notices can impact your ability to rent elsewhere.

How do I add a new roommate to my lease?

To add a new person to a lease, they first need to submit an application and be approved through the screening process. Once approved, the new roommate and any current residents will come to the Leasing Office and complete the paperwork necessary to add them to the rental agreement.

I’m moving out and I want to have someone else take over my lease. What do I do?

Residents are responsible for finding a student to take over their lease. The prospective resident will need to submit an application and be approved through the screening process. Once approved, they will come to the Leasing Office with the current residents and complete the paperwork necessary to add the new resident and remove the outgoing residents.
In cases like this, it is best to check in with the Leasing Office before beginning the process so you know policies around deposits and existing damages.

My lease is ending soon. What are my options?

All residents receive a notice 3-months prior to the lease end date informing residents of their lease end and listing the new rental rate for renewals. As a lease is ending, residents are can sign a new lease or move out.

If you would like to renew your lease, contact the Leasing Office for more information and renew your lease at least 30 days before your lease expires. If you would like to move out at the end of your lease, be sure to contact the leasing office at least 30 days in advance to complete a Notice to Vacate form.

What if I need to move before the end of my lease?

CHNW charges a lease break fee equal to 1.5x the amount of rent or charges through the end of the lease, whichever option is less. A 30-day notice is not required if the lease is being broken. Please contact the CHNW Leasing Office as soon as possible if you know you need to move out before your lease ends.

Am I still eligible to live with CHNW if I take a term off from school?

Yes; CHNW’s student policy allows residents to take one term off per school year. Otherwise, residents are expected to be enrolled at least half time at least three terms during the school year.

I’m graduating but I still have a few months left on my lease! What are my options?

CHNW’s student policy allows residents to continue living with CHNW up to three months (one term) after they graduate as an opportunity to transition into other housing.
If a resident graduates and wants to move before the end of their lease, they can provide documentation that they have graduated to the Leasing Office and the lease break fee will be waived.

My lease is ending, but I only have a few months left until I graduate and plan to move out. Can I stay until I graduate?

Yes; CHNW is flexible to waive lease break fees and make other arrangements for current residents who are graduating in less than six months when their lease ends. Please contact the Leasing Office for more information.

What if I need help when the office is closed?

If a current resident needs immediate assistance when the Leasing Office and Front Desk are both closed, please call our After-Hours number (503-929-7941).

Can I have a friend stay in my apartment with me as a guest?

Residents must accompany their guests at all times while on CHNW property, and are 100% responsible for the behavior of their guests when they are onsite. Under CHNW’s rental agreement, guests are allowed to stay for up to 10 days consecutively or 20 days scattered throughout the year.

Is someone allowed to live with me without being on the lease?

No. All people staying in the community longer than 10 days as a guest must be approved through the screening process and sign onto the rental agreement. Failure to do so results in a lease violation that appears on the resident’s rental history.

I have roommates and I know all CHNW leases are “joint responsibility”. How does this impact us?

CHNW’s joint-responsibility leases mean each person on the lease is equally responsible for rent payments, damages, and other fees. Payments must be submitted together totaling the full amount. If a roommate moves out unexpectedly, anyone left in the apartment is still responsible for making up the difference in rent. If one roommate causes damage to the apartment, the charges for the damage are applied to the shared account and all roommates are ultimately responsible for cost.

If a roommate wants to move out, all members of the lease will need to sign an agreement stating that they are no longer responsible. If there are ever changes in roommates, residents must inform the leasing office to ensure CHNW’s records match who is living in the apartment. Allowing someone to live in an apartment without being on the lease is a violation of the terms of the lease. CHNW recommends choosing roommates wisely and setting up a roommate agreement at move-in establishing expectations.