How do I apply?

To apply to be on the waist list, please visit our website here:

Once pre-leasing begins there will no longer be a waitlist. Prospective residents can apply online, where units will be first come first serve.

What is CHNW’s rental criteria?

CHNW requires all applicants fit our student status requirements; in addition, CHNW completes a screening that includes criminal background, credit history and rental history. Since CHNW serves students who often may not have established credit or rental history, lacking either does not impact the outcome of the screening. CHNW’s rental criteria can be read in full here: Rental Criteria

The application says I need to show proof of enrollment. How do I do this?

If you go to a school verifiable through the National Student Clearinghouse (including Portland State, PCC, and PNCA, among others) you can download your enrollment letter through your school’s student portal. Otherwise students can obtain their enrollment letter through the Registrar Office.

Some students are unable to be verified through the National Student Clearinghouse for various reasons, including anyone who does not have a social security number. Any student who cannot be verified through the Clearinghouse will be required to provide alternative documentation of enrollment, which can be one of the following:

  • a letter from the registration office at your school stating you are enrolled
  • an I-20 document (for international students)
  • a certificate of enrollment printed from your PCC or PSU banweb account. For information on how to do this, please see the leasing office or your school.

If I am not currently enrolled but will be enrolling next term, what kind of documentation do I need to provide?

Students enrolling for the first time the following term (for example, residents who apply to move into CHNW housing over the summer with plans to start classes in Fall term) can submit an admission letter stating they are admitted and set to begin classes.

Can I apply even if I do not see an apartment available?

We can only accept applications for apartments currently posted as available on the CHNW website. You can schedule a tour or get more information at anytime from our leasing team. To schedule a tour please contact

Do I need a cosigner?

CHNW does not require cosigners. By not requiring co-signers, CHNW aims to provide an accessible rental experience to those who may be first time renters, as well as an opportunity to build positive rental history in their own name.

How long does the application process take?

Completed applications are screened by Bemrose Consulting Inc, an independent screening company, and typically take 2 – 5 business days to process. Once a screening report is completed, applicants are contacted by email with the screening results and next steps.

Do I have to be a student to live with CHNW?

As a student housing community CHNW requires all residents be enrolled at least half-time as students in a higher education institution and/or the partner or dependent of an eligible student.

Can my boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/spouse live with me if they are not a student?

Absolutely! If you are eligible as a student, your non-student partner is also eligible to live with you. Any dependent over the age of 18 will be required to submit an application.

CHNW defines a partner as an individual who identifies as being in a committed relationship with the eligible applicant.

Who qualifies as a dependent?

CHNW defines a dependent as an individual under the age of 18 who is reliant on the eligible applicant for support, or an individual of any age with a disability that necessitates reliance on the eligible resident for support.

Can you help me find a roommate?

Unfortunately, CHNW does not provide roommate matching services. If you are looking to find a roommate, we encourage contacting your college and/or using Craigslist or other online boards as resource for finding a roommate.

Is there a maximum number of residents allowed per apartment?

Landlord Tenant Law states the maximum number of people that can reside in a unit is two people per the number of bedrooms, plus one. Meaning two residents are allowed in a studio, three in a one bedroom, and five in a two-bedroom.

Can I have a pet?

Up to 2 cats are allowed with a $200 extra pet deposit and signed pet agreement. Dogs are not allowed in our apartments. Caged animals (such as reptiles and rodents) are allowed upon approval from the Leasing Office. CHNW follows Fair Housing Laws in reference to service and therapy animals.

Are the apartments furnished?

The Amy is the only building within CHNW that has furnished units. All studios in The Amy will have murphy bed and be furnished. One-bedrooms will not be furnished, and ADA studios will have ADA approved furniture.